St Albans men released on bail after Batchwood fire
Golf course at Batchwood reopens as police investigation in to fire-ravaged sports centre continues
FOUR men arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire which destroyed most of Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre have been released on bail.
Two 17-year-old youths and two men, aged 19 and 23, all from St Albans, were arrested in connection with the blaze which occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
They are on bail pending further inquiries.
The Beds and Herts scientific services unit was still at the site of the gutted remains of the centre today as police continue investigating the incident which has stunned the local community.
You may also want to watch:
However, a spokeswoman for the Herts police said, “the scene should be released in the next 24 hours.”
Golfers have been given the go-ahead to use the golf course. But they are being asked to go to the first tee, where someone will help them.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building
The St Albans district council has not as yet had access to the neighbouring gym at Batchwood, to fully assess its condition, but there has been some smoke damage.