St Albans men released on bail after Batchwood fire
Golf course at Batchwood reopens as police investigation in to fire-ravaged sports centre continues
FOUR men arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire which destroyed most of Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre have been released on bail.
Two 17-year-old youths and two men, aged 19 and 23, all from St Albans, were arrested in connection with the blaze which occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
They are on bail pending further inquiries.
The Beds and Herts scientific services unit was still at the site of the gutted remains of the centre today as police continue investigating the incident which has stunned the local community.
You may also want to watch:
However, a spokeswoman for the Herts police said, “the scene should be released in the next 24 hours.”
Golfers have been given the go-ahead to use the golf course. But they are being asked to go to the first tee, where someone will help them.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
The St Albans district council has not as yet had access to the neighbouring gym at Batchwood, to fully assess its condition, but there has been some smoke damage.