St Albans men released on bail after Batchwood fire
Golf course at Batchwood reopens as police investigation in to fire-ravaged sports centre continues
FOUR men arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire which destroyed most of Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre have been released on bail.
Two 17-year-old youths and two men, aged 19 and 23, all from St Albans, were arrested in connection with the blaze which occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
They are on bail pending further inquiries.
The Beds and Herts scientific services unit was still at the site of the gutted remains of the centre today as police continue investigating the incident which has stunned the local community.
You may also want to watch:
However, a spokeswoman for the Herts police said, “the scene should be released in the next 24 hours.”
Golfers have been given the go-ahead to use the golf course. But they are being asked to go to the first tee, where someone will help them.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 St Albans' COVID cases continue to decline as UK surpasses "grim" milestone
- 3 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 4 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 5 The Snow Must Go On: More pics of St Albans in the snow
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 8 Claw enforcement: How to stop your cat scratching furniture and leaving fur everywhere
- 9 Bishop wages war on sports gambling
- 10 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
The St Albans district council has not as yet had access to the neighbouring gym at Batchwood, to fully assess its condition, but there has been some smoke damage.