St Albans men released on bail after Batchwood fire
Golf course at Batchwood reopens as police investigation in to fire-ravaged sports centre continues
FOUR men arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire which destroyed most of Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre have been released on bail.
Two 17-year-old youths and two men, aged 19 and 23, all from St Albans, were arrested in connection with the blaze which occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
They are on bail pending further inquiries.
The Beds and Herts scientific services unit was still at the site of the gutted remains of the centre today as police continue investigating the incident which has stunned the local community.
You may also want to watch:
However, a spokeswoman for the Herts police said, “the scene should be released in the next 24 hours.”
Golfers have been given the go-ahead to use the golf course. But they are being asked to go to the first tee, where someone will help them.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
The St Albans district council has not as yet had access to the neighbouring gym at Batchwood, to fully assess its condition, but there has been some smoke damage.