St Albans memory walk proves unforgettable for Alzheimer's Society
A MEMORABLE walk around Verulamium Park last weekend helped raise more than �1,000 for the district s dementia sufferers. The St Albans branch of the Alzheimer s Society held its Memory Walk – the charity s biggest annual fundraiser – on Sunday, when arou
A MEMORABLE walk around Verulamium Park last weekend helped raise more than �1,000 for the district's dementia sufferers.
The St Albans branch of the Alzheimer's Society held its Memory Walk - the charity's biggest annual fundraiser - on Sunday, when around 50 people gathered in the park to take part in a one- or two-mile sponsored walk.
Among the walkers was the Deputy Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Iqbal Zia, who said: "I took part in the Memory Walk as a tribute to my father-in-law, the late Ghulam Sarwar Khan, who had Alzheimer's.
"This worthwhile event has increased my awareness of The Alzheimer's Society and the work it does to support families and their loved ones with Alzheimer's."
You may also want to watch:
Although not all the sponsorship money has been collected yet, branch manager of the St Albans Alzheimer's Society Erika Aldridge said that she anticipated a grand total of at least �1,000, all of which would go towards helping local people with dementia.
She added: "It was a great day and even the weather treated us well. This is the second year that we have held a Memory Walk and we were very pleased with how it has grown. As an added bonus, we also picked up some new volunteers on the day.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant