St Albans memory walk proves unforgettable for Alzheimer's Society
A MEMORABLE walk around Verulamium Park last weekend helped raise more than �1,000 for the district s dementia sufferers. The St Albans branch of the Alzheimer s Society held its Memory Walk – the charity s biggest annual fundraiser – on Sunday, when arou
A MEMORABLE walk around Verulamium Park last weekend helped raise more than �1,000 for the district's dementia sufferers.
The St Albans branch of the Alzheimer's Society held its Memory Walk - the charity's biggest annual fundraiser - on Sunday, when around 50 people gathered in the park to take part in a one- or two-mile sponsored walk.
Among the walkers was the Deputy Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Iqbal Zia, who said: "I took part in the Memory Walk as a tribute to my father-in-law, the late Ghulam Sarwar Khan, who had Alzheimer's.
"This worthwhile event has increased my awareness of The Alzheimer's Society and the work it does to support families and their loved ones with Alzheimer's."
You may also want to watch:
Although not all the sponsorship money has been collected yet, branch manager of the St Albans Alzheimer's Society Erika Aldridge said that she anticipated a grand total of at least �1,000, all of which would go towards helping local people with dementia.
She added: "It was a great day and even the weather treated us well. This is the second year that we have held a Memory Walk and we were very pleased with how it has grown. As an added bonus, we also picked up some new volunteers on the day.
- 1 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 2 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
- 3 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 4 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Call from St Albans Museum for start of Ramadan
- 7 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 8 St Albans-based pharmacy association celebrates centenary
- 9 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area