St Albans mayor newly appointed
- Credit: Photo synergy
A new mayor has been elected for St Albans.
Councillor Edgar Hill was made mayor for 2021/22 at an annual meeting of the council after the elections on May 6.
He succeeds Janet Smith and becomes the city’s 477th mayor with the first having been appointed in 1553.
His deputy for his year in office is Cllr Helen Campbell who was first elected to the Council in 2018.
His chosen charity is Youth Talk which provides free and confidential counselling to young people aged 13 to 25.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hill said: “I’m delighted to have been elected mayor and am looking forward to supporting our voluntary groups, charities, businesses and the community as a whole as we recover from this terrible pandemic.
“Young people have suffered more than most during the public health emergency with education and work so badly disrupted. Their mental wellbeing is a major concern, so I will be raising funds for Youth Talk.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved