St Albans Mayor to take part in charity sleepout for homeless
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of St Albans will experience life as a rough sleeper to raise money for local homelessness charities.
Mayor Janet Smith will join the annual St Albans Sleepout at Oaklands College in Smallford on Friday, December 6.
Fundraisers will sleep out in the cold from 9pm until 7am the following day, to raise money for Herts Young Homeless, Open Door, Centre 33, Emmaus and The Living Room.
Cllr Smith has pledged to donate any funds she raises to Open Door, which is based in Bricket Road.
She said: "I'm proud to be taking part in the sleepout and supporting such a good and valuable cause.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm hoping the event will highlight the plight of people who will be living on our streets this winter as well as raise money for the local charities which are trying to help them."
To sponsor the mayor via Virgin Giving go to http://bit.ly/2XxJKKb
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works