St Albans Mayor to take part in charity sleepout for homeless
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of St Albans will experience life as a rough sleeper to raise money for local homelessness charities.
Mayor Janet Smith will join the annual St Albans Sleepout at Oaklands College in Smallford on Friday, December 6.
Fundraisers will sleep out in the cold from 9pm until 7am the following day, to raise money for Herts Young Homeless, Open Door, Centre 33, Emmaus and The Living Room.
Cllr Smith has pledged to donate any funds she raises to Open Door, which is based in Bricket Road.
She said: "I'm proud to be taking part in the sleepout and supporting such a good and valuable cause.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm hoping the event will highlight the plight of people who will be living on our streets this winter as well as raise money for the local charities which are trying to help them."
To sponsor the mayor via Virgin Giving go to http://bit.ly/2XxJKKb
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge