St Albans man weakened after waiting an hour for his bus
- Credit: Archant
A 70-year-old St Albans man on his way to hospital had to wait an hour in the freezing cold for a bus to arrive - the fifth time in three months the bus had been so late.
Desmond Coyle, from The Ridgeway, was due to attend an appointment at Luton and Dunstable Hospital on Thursday January 26, but when the 653 Uno service failed to arrive on time he found himself stranded.
He said the cold weather combined with his rare autoimmune condition left him feeling very weak.
The service had been late on two other occasions in November and December.
Mr Coyle said: “It takes 45 minutes to fly from Luton Airport to Dublin Airport. It took just over an hour for me to get to St Albans City Station from The Quadrant in Marshalswick. It would be a joke worthy of a comedy spot if it was not so injurious to people’s health.”
Uno apologised for his wait, blaming heavy traffic in Smallford, which had also delayed the 601 service by at least 50 minutes.
Managing director James Thorpe said: “We make every effort to ensure that our buses operate to the published timetable, however sometimes factors outside our control such as roadworks and traffic congestion lead to services being delayed.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 7 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
“Our logs showed the 653 service was particularly badly affected on this date. We are sorry the passenger’s journey was inconvenienced.”