St Albans man weakened after waiting an hour for his bus
- Credit: Archant
A 70-year-old St Albans man on his way to hospital had to wait an hour in the freezing cold for a bus to arrive - the fifth time in three months the bus had been so late.
Desmond Coyle, from The Ridgeway, was due to attend an appointment at Luton and Dunstable Hospital on Thursday January 26, but when the 653 Uno service failed to arrive on time he found himself stranded.
He said the cold weather combined with his rare autoimmune condition left him feeling very weak.
The service had been late on two other occasions in November and December.
Mr Coyle said: “It takes 45 minutes to fly from Luton Airport to Dublin Airport. It took just over an hour for me to get to St Albans City Station from The Quadrant in Marshalswick. It would be a joke worthy of a comedy spot if it was not so injurious to people’s health.”
You may also want to watch:
Uno apologised for his wait, blaming heavy traffic in Smallford, which had also delayed the 601 service by at least 50 minutes.
Managing director James Thorpe said: “We make every effort to ensure that our buses operate to the published timetable, however sometimes factors outside our control such as roadworks and traffic congestion lead to services being delayed.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
“Our logs showed the 653 service was particularly badly affected on this date. We are sorry the passenger’s journey was inconvenienced.”