St Albans man set to compete in London 10K challenge for Autistic Society
- Credit: Archant
An Asperger’s sufferer is running a 10km race in London to raise money for the National Autistic Society.
Jethro Offemaria, 25 of Hill End Lane, who was diagnosed with Asperger’s when he was three, last competed in a similar event when he took part in the 2010 Great South Run.
The London race in May marks a comeback for Jethro, a member of the local YMCA, St Albans Youth Disability FC and the a local Ceroc dance group, He hopes to raise at least £600 for the National Autistic Society.
Jethro was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome at the age of three and took up running when he was 17 and at Grateley House in Hampshire, a residential school for young people aged from nine-19 years with Asperger’s and similar conditions.
He wants to see more such schools opened for autistic children and teenagers as well as special colleges because so many sufferers are excluded from the mainstream education system.
You may also want to watch:
He said ‘Asperger’s is a part of my life, but my interests, including dancing, Eurovision fandom, playing and watching sport, visiting the gym for my training and visiting the library, keep me out of trouble.
“Taking part in the 2016 London 10,000 for this amazing charity is a huge personal goal and my way of helping over 700,000 people in the UK with autism like me. I would like all my friends to wish me well- I will finish my race on a high, and it would be an honour for you to donate as much as you can’.
To support Jethro click here.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 6 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 7 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 8 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 9 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 10 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping