St Albans man sails through warfare specialist training at HMS Collingwood
- Credit: Archant
A former Verulam pupil has graduated as a Warfare Specialist from HMS Collingwood in Fareham, Hampshire.
James Ross, 20, and originally from St Albans, joined the Royal Navy in February this year following a life long dream of joining the forces.
James completed his Warfare Specialist Course Phase 2 training with the Victory Squadron at HMS Collingwood, the home of the Maritime Warfare School which provides first class training to all officers and ratings of the Royal Navy.
James said: “Being class leader has developed my confidence and personal organisational skills. I’m now ready to join the fleet. My career highlight has been meeting the people and making the friends I have.”
Whilst completing the Warfare Specialist training course, James was taught how to set up and operate the Royal Navy’s systems that provide information to ships on air and surface activities.
As a Warfare Specialist on board, his role will include detecting threats to the ship, identifying targets and making crucial tactical decisions.
After successfully completing the Warfare Specialist course, James is now undertaking the Underwater Warfare Course at HMS Collingwood.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
James’ service career choice sees him following in the footsteps of his great granddad, who served in the Royal Navy.