St Albans man running to raise money for Guide Dogs
- Credit: Archant
THEY say that dogs are man’s best friend, a fact which is being proved correct by recent fundraising efforts for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Kevin Hayes, a doctor from St Albans and his friend David Rawlings have signed up to take part in the Great South Run this October in the hopes of raising valuable funds for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Kevin and his wife Bernie are keen fundraisers for the charity, currently acting as puppy walkers and looking after trainee guide dogs until the age of 14 months.
The couple are currently looking after a puppy named Oakley, and since becoming involved with Guide Dogs for the Blind say they have been greatly inspired by the work of the charity, driving them both to help fundraising efforts.
Over its lifetime a guide dog will cost around £50,000, and provide invaluable independence for those in need, so fundraising events are vital to the charity.
You may also want to watch:
Joanne Landucci, community fundraiser for the charity, described Bernie as an “incredibly inspiring person” because of her incredible dedication to fundraising for the charity.
Kevin and David are aiming to raise £1,000 in completing the run, a challenge that Kevin described as “tough, but worth the pain for such a good cause”.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Shortages crisis hits district
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
As a keen runner, he has already started training and fundraising for the event and says he is “looking forward to completing it”
Alongside the Great South Run Bernie and Kevin are organising a sponsored dog walk in Highfield Park on Sunday, October 6, at 10.30am. To find out more visit www.gowalkies.org.uk
If you would like to make a donation to Kevin as he prepares for the Great South Run then visit www.justgiving.com/doc4guidedogs