St Albans man guilty of bomb hoax call after booze and meds cocktail
- Credit: Archant
A man admitted communicating false information after drunkenly calling 999 making a bomb hoax, St Albans Magistrates Court heard.
Michael Surridge, 59, of Highfield Lane, Tyttenhanger, St Albans, called up emergency services after drinking beer with his medication on January 10.
He claimed that he was going to blow up his and his neighbour’s homes.
After a conversation with Mr Surridge, the police call handler became concerned and sent the police and fire brigade to his address, who later closed the road.
She kept Mr Surridge on the phone for as long as possible and he became increasingly abusive.
You may also want to watch:
He complained about companies including British Gas before saying “f*** you” and hanging up the phone.
The police and fire brigade arrived at the address and entered the property to find empty gas canisters and a lighter (later found to be used for cigarettes).
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
It was then established that there was no intent to ‘blow up’ Mr Surridge’s or his neighbour’s home.
The gas canisters were empty and used by Mr Surridge in an attempt to heat his home without the aid of British Gas, with whom he has an ongoing feud.
Mr Surridge was given a suspended sentence and fined £165. He said: “You’ll never see me back here again, never. You’ll never see me here again. It’s hurt me so much and I feel so ashamed.”