St Albans man fined for fly-tipping
- Credit: Getty Images/Creatas RF
A St Albans man has been successfully prosecuted for fly-tipping offences.
Martin Ballard, 63, of Hunter’s Ride, Bricket Wood, pleaded guilty to offences under section 34(1) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and was fined a total of £640 by West Hertfordshire Magistrates in Watford.
The prosecution related to an incident in December last year, when Ballard was managing building works in Seaton Road, London Colney, and authorised an unknown man to remove building waste without obtaining a waste transfer note or a receipt for the waste.
The waste was later found dumped on Hixberry Lane, St Albans.
Having considered the new environmental sentencing guidelines, the court fined Mr Ballard £334. He was also ordered to pay £110 costs, £163 compensation to the council for the costs of removing the waste and a victim surcharge of £33.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Daniel Chichester-Miles said: “The council is determined to protect them from fly-tipping and other illegal activities. We treat this problem very seriously and will seek to prosecute anyone responsible for fly-tipping waste.”
If you witness fly-tipping taking place, call the police on 999. If you discover fly-tipped waste after it has been dumped, call the hotline 01727 819598 or email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 9 Hundreds of Herts health workers decline COVID-19 vaccines
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident