St Albans man died of accidental paracetamol overdose
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans painter and decorator died accidentally after taking too much paracetamol over a long period of time.
Steven Blacklock, of Church Street, passed away on September 14 last year at Watford General Hospital when he suffered liver and multiple organ failure.
An inquest at Hatfield Coroner’s Court last Wednesday heard the 56 year old developed bad back pain after lifting a heavy radiator so he took painkillers to cope, to which he soon began to build up a tolerance.
When the pain worsened he would take paracetamol for added relief as advised by his doctor.
His wife Elaine told Herts coroner Edward Thomas that her husband, originally from Salford, would often take medication on an empty stomach.
You may also want to watch:
On the day the father-of-three died he could not get out of bed and felt dizzy before he collapsed. His wife tried to resuscitate him and an ambulance was called to take him to hospital where he was revived but then died shortly afterwards.
The recovering alcoholic’s post-mortem revealed he might have been taking too much medication and showed signs of liver damage.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
A test taken on Steven’s admission to hospital showed he did not have any paracetamol in his blood at the time, which suggested any damaging effects were caused by taking it over a prolonged period.
Mr Thomas said: “It didn’t reveal that he had actually overdosed. The tramadol and the other medications he had taken were all taken in therapeutic levels.
Ruling the death as accidental he added: “What it [the test] is saying is that he didn’t want to die.”