St Albans man cycles across UK alone for charity
- Credit: Archant
A passionate fundraiser has cycled more than 1000 miles to raise awareness about depression.
Will Kennedy, 23, who lives in Chiswell Green, spent two weeks cycling around the UK and Ireland by himself to raise money for Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) - a charity that aims to bring down the suicide rate among men.
During his journey he visited London, Dublin, Edinburgh and Cardiff, raising nearly £2,000.
He spent almost a year devising the route, which was almost “like a part time job”.
Will, who has suffered from depression in the past, decided to fundraise as the topic is “not really spoken about”.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “My target was £1 for every mile and I’ve smashed it.
“It was easier than I expected it to be as I did a lot of training beforehand, but when you are on your own there’s nobody there to share the moments with.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
“I also enjoyed seeing a lot of the countryside and meeting people.”
Will also raised an additional £300 by setting up a stall in St Albans market where he offered people a ride on a bike that was put on a turbo trainer to emulate his mission.
He is also aiming to hold an assembly at Verulam School in the future to talk about depression and his fundraising adventure.
He added: “It’s more about raising awareness rather than the money,”
For more information or to donate, visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Will-Kennedy1