St Albans man convicted of attempted murder after stabbing friend 12 times
- Credit: Archant
A would-be killer who stabbed his victim 12 times before being overcome by police in St Albans has been found guilty of attempted murder.
On Monday, September 12 2016, Verinder Rajput, 46 was drinking with his friend of ten years, Craig Sutherland, when an argument broke out.
Sutherland, 40, of Townsend Avenue, stabbed Mr Rajput, known as Vinnie, in the back, neck, head, hands and torso, catching some vital organs and fracturing his jaw.
When police got to the scene, Sutherland had barricaded himself in the living room and was threatening to continue the attack - when officers broke through they found him kneeling over Mr Rajput with a knife.
The victim was given life-saving treatment on the scene and had to spend two months in hospital.
Det Insp Pushpa Guild from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “This was a violent and sustained attack that almost cost Mr Rajput his life.
“Sutherland had known his victim for more than 10 years but this did not stop him from taking a kitchen knife and repeatedly stabbing him over a minor disagreement.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
“Today, Mr Rajput continues to recover from the significant injuries he sustained.”
After a three week trial, Sutherland was today convicted of attempted murder at St Albans Crown Court and will be sentenced on September 1.