St Albans man convicted of attempted murder after stabbing friend 12 times
- Credit: Archant
A would-be killer who stabbed his victim 12 times before being overcome by police in St Albans has been found guilty of attempted murder.
On Monday, September 12 2016, Verinder Rajput, 46 was drinking with his friend of ten years, Craig Sutherland, when an argument broke out.
Sutherland, 40, of Townsend Avenue, stabbed Mr Rajput, known as Vinnie, in the back, neck, head, hands and torso, catching some vital organs and fracturing his jaw.
When police got to the scene, Sutherland had barricaded himself in the living room and was threatening to continue the attack - when officers broke through they found him kneeling over Mr Rajput with a knife.
The victim was given life-saving treatment on the scene and had to spend two months in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Pushpa Guild from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “This was a violent and sustained attack that almost cost Mr Rajput his life.
“Sutherland had known his victim for more than 10 years but this did not stop him from taking a kitchen knife and repeatedly stabbing him over a minor disagreement.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
“Today, Mr Rajput continues to recover from the significant injuries he sustained.”
After a three week trial, Sutherland was today convicted of attempted murder at St Albans Crown Court and will be sentenced on September 1.