St Albans' Maltings Theatre moves closer towards cinema plans
A STUGGLING St Albans theatre venue could be given a new lease of life should plans approved this week come to fruition. As first revealed by the Herts Advertiser, the Maltings Arts Theatre has hit financial difficulties and a business plan has been devis
A STUGGLING St Albans theatre venue could be given a new lease of life should plans approved this week come to fruition.
As first revealed by the Herts Advertiser, the Maltings Arts Theatre has hit financial difficulties and a business plan has been devised to turn it around.
The plans, which could see a cash injection of up to �600,000 for refurbishments, were agreed in principle by the district council's cabinet on Tuesday evening (3/11).
Their vision is to transform it into an adaptable cinema and theatre venue showing films, including 3D movies, four or five days a week with up to four screenings a day.
You may also want to watch:
Despite concerns raised by the St Albans Civic Society about the heavy use of film, councillors have insisted that the theatre provision will be maintained with an average of one afternoon and one evening professional performance per week.
Theatre and children's workshops will also be promoted on weekdays and on Saturdays, and a digital lounge with sound and film equipment is proposed to facilitate them.
- 1 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 2 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 3 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 4 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 5 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 6 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 7 Blocked drain at St Albans junction still not cleared months after it was first reported
- 8 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 9 Future of St Albans Half Marathon secured as 2021 date set
- 10 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
Among the other developments proposed are ventilation improvements, a dedicated management and box office and new seating.