St Albans streets host Living Advent Calendar
- Credit: Archant
Households in an area of St Albans have held a Living Advent Calendar to mark the festive season.
For every night of December up to Christmas, residents of Green Lane, Folly Lane, Lady Smith Road, Carlisle Road, Waverley Road and other streets nearby gathered together in a different house for drinks, mince pies, to turn on the lights and watch window displays being unveiled.
The organiser of the event was Leanne Walters, of Green Lane, who decided to get the community together after seeing other streets hold similar events.
Leanne said: "I created a flyer and went knocking on doors. Amazingly people were up for it and signed up to the idea.
"I thought it would be a great way of bringing people together and creating more community spirit.
You may also want to watch:
"It's been amazing. The host houses offer drinks, mince pies before the kids do the count down and the windows are switched on.
The creative festive displays included Nativity scenes and a flying Santa Claus.
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 Dirty Dancing and The Greatest Showman among St Albans open-air cinema screenings
- 3 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Author explores city's hidden history
- 6 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 7 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 8 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 9 Olympic hopeful Raissa Vickery benefits from 948 Sports Foundation help
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?
Leanne added: "The kids love it and it really has bought strangers together night after night."