St Albans streets host Living Advent Calendar
- Credit: Archant
Households in an area of St Albans have held a Living Advent Calendar to mark the festive season.
For every night of December up to Christmas, residents of Green Lane, Folly Lane, Lady Smith Road, Carlisle Road, Waverley Road and other streets nearby gathered together in a different house for drinks, mince pies, to turn on the lights and watch window displays being unveiled.
The organiser of the event was Leanne Walters, of Green Lane, who decided to get the community together after seeing other streets hold similar events.
Leanne said: "I created a flyer and went knocking on doors. Amazingly people were up for it and signed up to the idea.
"I thought it would be a great way of bringing people together and creating more community spirit.
You may also want to watch:
"It's been amazing. The host houses offer drinks, mince pies before the kids do the count down and the windows are switched on.
The creative festive displays included Nativity scenes and a flying Santa Claus.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 8 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 9 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Leanne added: "The kids love it and it really has bought strangers together night after night."