St Albans leisure centre nominated for three national awards
- Credit: Archant
A city centre leisure centre has been nominated for not one, but three National Fitness Awards.
Westminster Lodge, at the bottom of Holywell Hill, has been shortlisted for Local Authority of the Year, Personal Trainer of the Year and a Member Achievement Award at the awards, which celebrate excellence in the fitness industry.
Tom Gregory, a personal trainer at the gym, was shortlisted in recognition of his dedication working with 15 year old cancer survivor, Bailey Sarwa, who has also been nominated for ‘Member Achievement Award’.
Tom said: “It is a pleasure and an honour to train with Bailey, his determination is incredible. He puts 100 per cent effort into his training sessions and never lets the effects of the chemotherapy get the better of him. He is an inspiration.”
Bailey requested the help of Tom after battling with the rare cancer Neuroblastoma for the second time.
You may also want to watch:
He was coached back to fitness by Tom and with the help of family and friends, is now strong enough to participate in after school clubs.
Lesley Garner, Everyone Active general manager at Westminster Lodge, said: “We are delighted to be nominated for three awards and we are particularly proud of Tom and our member Bailey Sarwa.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 5 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 6 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
“Tom researched the best training methods to help Bailey recover and worked with him to slowly rebuild his fitness. The persistence of both Tom and Bailey has been truly inspirational.
“It has been fantastic to see Bailey’s outstanding progress. We hope that Tom gets the recognition he truly deserves.”
The team will be travelling to Leicester tomorrow (Fri) for the awards, where the winners will be announced.