St Albans leisure centre nominated for three national awards
- Credit: Archant
A city centre leisure centre has been nominated for not one, but three National Fitness Awards.
Westminster Lodge, at the bottom of Holywell Hill, has been shortlisted for Local Authority of the Year, Personal Trainer of the Year and a Member Achievement Award at the awards, which celebrate excellence in the fitness industry.
Tom Gregory, a personal trainer at the gym, was shortlisted in recognition of his dedication working with 15 year old cancer survivor, Bailey Sarwa, who has also been nominated for ‘Member Achievement Award’.
Tom said: “It is a pleasure and an honour to train with Bailey, his determination is incredible. He puts 100 per cent effort into his training sessions and never lets the effects of the chemotherapy get the better of him. He is an inspiration.”
Bailey requested the help of Tom after battling with the rare cancer Neuroblastoma for the second time.
He was coached back to fitness by Tom and with the help of family and friends, is now strong enough to participate in after school clubs.
Lesley Garner, Everyone Active general manager at Westminster Lodge, said: “We are delighted to be nominated for three awards and we are particularly proud of Tom and our member Bailey Sarwa.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
“Tom researched the best training methods to help Bailey recover and worked with him to slowly rebuild his fitness. The persistence of both Tom and Bailey has been truly inspirational.
“It has been fantastic to see Bailey’s outstanding progress. We hope that Tom gets the recognition he truly deserves.”
The team will be travelling to Leicester tomorrow (Fri) for the awards, where the winners will be announced.