St Albans leisure centre hosts recruitment event this evening to find donors for stem cell transplants
- Credit: Archant
A stem cell donor recruitment day to find lifesavers for people suffering with blood cancers is being held at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre today.
The recruitment day, which runs from 5pm to 8.30pm, has been organised by the Everyone Active team at Westminster Lodge in support of their colleague Chris Spencer who underwent a stem cell transplant through the Anthony Nolan charity after being diagnosed with bone marrow failure in June 2013.
Anyone aged 16-30 and in good health can become a donor and to register, participants just need to drop into Westminster Lodge on the day, fill in a short medical form and provide a saliva sample.
Once registered, donors will remain on the register until the age of 60, unless they chose to be removed from it sooner.
Everyone Active general manager, Lesley Garner, said: “We’re looking forward to hosting a recruitment day to raise awareness and help support Anthony Nolan’s invaluable work,
You may also want to watch:
“For thousands of people with blood cancers such as leukaemia, their only hope of survival is a donation of healthy stem cells. We’re giving the public the opportunity to see whether they’re a match.”
Among those helping on the day will be Rachelle Emberton whose children Emma (six) and Sam (four) both have Fanconi Anaemia which causes bone marrow failure and are in need of bone marrow transplants.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
A donor has been found by Anthony Nolan for Sam and he is due to have a transplant when he is a little older but a match has yet to be found for Emma who needs her transplant within the next few months.
There is no need to book in advance and for more information, contact the centre on 01727 736080 or visit www.everyoneactive.com.