St Albans hospice’s tribute to Margaret
- Credit: Archant
Grove House has paid tribute to fundraiser Margaret Hill who, as one half of the hospice’s prolific fundraising team the M and M’s, helped raised thousands of pounds over the years.
Margaret died last week after a long battle with kidney cancer and her funeral is being held next Monday, October 14.
With her friend, Mary Cutler, the duo became known as the M and M’s and were stalwart fundraisers for the hospice for almost two decades. In that time they managed to raise almost £40,000 to support local cancer patients.
Margaret and Mary were familiar faces in the foyer of St Albans City Hospital where their monthly sales attracted day patients, staff and visitors alike. The numerous Grove House community fundraising events were not complete without a varied tombola table organised by the M and M’s. Their stalls at the annual Herts Show and Pumpkin Festival were also great fundraising opportunities.
The pair relied on donated items for their sales. Margaret’s husband, Ken says: “There was usually one room in the house out of bounds and filled with soft toys, bottles and unwanted gifts, ready for Margaret and Mary to label for the sales. Margaret was devoted to Grove House and really enjoyed her fundraising with her friend Mary.”
You may also want to watch:
One of Margaret and Mary’s early projects was to fund the provision of the popular day hospice hairdressing salon. The salon is in regular use today and a huge benefit for patients who have difficulty washing their hair at home.
In 2010 the friends’ huge contribution to the local community was publicly recognised when they were awarded the Debenhams Ottoway Community Gold Award.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
Margaret’s funeral service is being held at 2pm in the north chapel at West Herts Crematorium, High Elms Lane, Garston. Friends are invited to the Old Albanian Rugby Club at Woollams afterwards.
Ken said that as Margaret had dedicated a hugh part of her life to raising money for Grove House, she would prefer donations to the hospice rather than flowers. They can be made via www.justgiving.com/mahill or c/o St Albans Family Funeral Services Ltd, 5 Holywell Hill, St Albans, AL1 1EU. Tel 01727 737610. Cheques should be made payable to Rennie Grove Hospice Care.