St Albans charity raises funds for World AIDS Day
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans-based AIDS charity is holding events across the city over the weekend in honour of World AIDS Day.
The Crescent, which provides support to those living with and affected by HIV and AIDS, is observing World AIDS Day tomorrow (Friday, December 1), kicking off the weekend’s programme of events.
The charity will be a running a street collection on Friday at St Albans City Station from 7am to 7pm. Hertfordshire Labour MEP Alex Mayer will participate in the collection to mark becoming patron of the charity.
Ms Mayer said: “I am deeply proud to be made a patron of this fantastic local charity on World Aids Day. I look forward to joining the Crescent’s volunteers and staff with my bucket for a street collection this Friday as well as a discussing with them options for maximising funding for the group.
“World Aids day is a serious event but it’s important to celebrate the fantastic work The Crescent do in supporting local people who suffer from this terrible illness.
You may also want to watch:
“I am proud to support this hard working local charity and I will be shaking my bucket and asking local people to dig deep to support The Crescent.”
The charity is also raising money with a ‘busking day’ outside St Albans clock tower on Saturday, December 2, featuring local musicians. On Sunday, they are holding a sausage sizzle at Bunnings Warehouse in Grifiths Way to raise money and awareness.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
Iain Murtagh, The Crescent’s Project Manager, said: “We as an independent HIV charity are trying to raise awareness of HIV. We will be using the day to distribute ribbons and information and to collect funds so that we can continue to provide services for those living with HIV in Hertfordshire.
“We’re very proud that Alex is coming along to help us mark the day, to not only raise awareness of HIV but to also commemorate all the people that we lost in the last 30 years.”