St Albans headteacher praises teen victims of knifepoint robberies for "being sensible" during ordeal
PUBLISHED: 16:00 09 June 2016
The headteacher of a St Albans secondary school attended by one of two teenage victims of a terrifying knifepoint robbery has praised the boys for their level-headedness during their 'horrific' ordeal.
The teenagers were subjected to a frightening robbery when their mobile phones were stolen at knifepoint by a gang within minutes of each other on Saturday (4) night in St Albans.
A police helicopter was sent to Marshalswick, where both robberies occurred, to search for the gang.
A 15-year-old boy was robbed of his phone at 9.45pm in Marshalswick Lane after he was threatened by a group of youths carrying knives.
The Herts Advertiser has been told that the first victim was with two friends in a park when he was approached by the gang, who left and then returned to the boy, dragging him into a nearby alleyway where he was robbed.
At about 10pm, Herts Police received a report of a second knifepoint robbery at The Wick, off Marshal’s Drive. A bag and mobile phone were stolen from a 17-year-old boy, who had been walking home from work.
Seven youths, aged between 15 and 16, were arrested on suspicion of armed robbery, and initially taken into police custody. Police officers also recovered a number of knives.
A local headteacher, whom the Herts Advertiser has decided not to name given the nature of the robbery, said: “The victims were very sensible young people who dealt with a horrific ordeal remarkably well given the circumstances.
“They were very sensible even though it was very traumatic for them.”
Inspector David Howells, investigating, said that while reports of two armed robberies in quick succession would be “alarming to local residents, I would like to reassure them that we responded quickly and as a result have made arrests, and recovered items that may have been used as part of the alleged incidents.”
Police patrols have been increased in the area.
Insp Howells has urged witnesses to either robbery, or with information that could help with the investigation, to contact the police.
Phone non-emergency number 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111, or go online: www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Herts Police arrests following the alleged robbery:
• A 16-year-old boy from Luton, who has been bailed until this Sunday, June 12. He was arrested at the St Albans City station on suspicion of robbery.
• Two 15-year-old boys from Luton have been bailed until June 12. They were arrested at the station on suspicion of robbery.
• A 16-year-old Luton boy who was arrested at the station on suspicion of robbery and possession of stolen property has been bailed until July 27.
• Also arrested at the station was a 16-year-old boy from Luton, who has been bailed until June 12. He was arrested on suspicion of robbery and possession of stolen property.
• A 16-year-old boy from Luton was arrested in Brampton Road on suspicion of armed robbery. He was bailed until June 12.
• A 15-year-old boy from St Albans has been bailed until July 27. He was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery. The location of his arrest was Brampton Road, St Albans.