St Albans Half Marathon shortlisted for Running Awards 2017
- Credit: Archant
A long-distance charity run in St Albans has been shortlisted for an national award, putting it “on the map” in the running community.
St Albans Half Marathon, which has been going for 36 years, includes a fun-run, 5K, and a walking event, and is up against 12 other events in the Running Awards 2017.
Last year the event donated more than £24,000 to 50 organisations, with the Hospice of St Francis, a charity which provide care for the terminally ill, taking the lion’s share of the money.
Race director Katie Foweraker said it was a unique event: “We’re up against some stiff competition, with many of the other half marathon events having bigger budgets and bigger teams.
“But we think that’s why our runners love the event so much – despite growing in size in over the years, we continue to keep the community focus at the heart of the event with the main aim being to raise money to put straight back into that community.”
You may also want to watch:
Katie is encouraging the St Albans community to vote and put the race on the map within the running community.
It is up against runs like the Aldi Manchester Half Marathon, Burnham Beeches Half, Great North Run, and Northumberland Coastal Run.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
Vote at www.therunningawards.com/vote before April 13 to have your say - the winner will be announced on April 20.
On the website, it is under running events, then half marathon.