St Albans Half Marathon shortlisted for Running Awards 2017
- Credit: Archant
A long-distance charity run in St Albans has been shortlisted for an national award, putting it “on the map” in the running community.
St Albans Half Marathon, which has been going for 36 years, includes a fun-run, 5K, and a walking event, and is up against 12 other events in the Running Awards 2017.
Last year the event donated more than £24,000 to 50 organisations, with the Hospice of St Francis, a charity which provide care for the terminally ill, taking the lion’s share of the money.
Race director Katie Foweraker said it was a unique event: “We’re up against some stiff competition, with many of the other half marathon events having bigger budgets and bigger teams.
“But we think that’s why our runners love the event so much – despite growing in size in over the years, we continue to keep the community focus at the heart of the event with the main aim being to raise money to put straight back into that community.”
You may also want to watch:
Katie is encouraging the St Albans community to vote and put the race on the map within the running community.
It is up against runs like the Aldi Manchester Half Marathon, Burnham Beeches Half, Great North Run, and Northumberland Coastal Run.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 3 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 A New York state of mind
Vote at www.therunningawards.com/vote before April 13 to have your say - the winner will be announced on April 20.
On the website, it is under running events, then half marathon.