St Albans Half Marathon shortlisted for Running Awards 2017
- Credit: Archant
A long-distance charity run in St Albans has been shortlisted for an national award, putting it “on the map” in the running community.
St Albans Half Marathon, which has been going for 36 years, includes a fun-run, 5K, and a walking event, and is up against 12 other events in the Running Awards 2017.
Last year the event donated more than £24,000 to 50 organisations, with the Hospice of St Francis, a charity which provide care for the terminally ill, taking the lion’s share of the money.
Race director Katie Foweraker said it was a unique event: “We’re up against some stiff competition, with many of the other half marathon events having bigger budgets and bigger teams.
“But we think that’s why our runners love the event so much – despite growing in size in over the years, we continue to keep the community focus at the heart of the event with the main aim being to raise money to put straight back into that community.”
You may also want to watch:
Katie is encouraging the St Albans community to vote and put the race on the map within the running community.
It is up against runs like the Aldi Manchester Half Marathon, Burnham Beeches Half, Great North Run, and Northumberland Coastal Run.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 3 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 4 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 5 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 6 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 7 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 8 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 9 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 10 Property Spotlight: A fine fixer-upper close to popular St Albans schools
Vote at www.therunningawards.com/vote before April 13 to have your say - the winner will be announced on April 20.
On the website, it is under running events, then half marathon.