St Albans gym hosts Cancer Research fundraising day in memory of fitness instructor
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans gym is holding a charity fundraising day for Cancer Research in memory of a much-loved fitness instructor who died from the disease.
Laurence Nieberg, who worked for Nuffield Health and Fitness for more than two decades, passed away aged just 59 at the start of December following a long fight against cancer.
This Saturday a whole day of activities has been scheduled at the Nuffield gym in Highfield Park Drive to pay tribute to Laurence and help raise funds for a charity which he keenly supported.
Organiser Vicki Senanayake said: “We are holding a charity day in the name of our dear friend and colleague Laurence who we had the fortune to work alongside at Nuffield. He did so much for the club and for Cancer Research so it only seems right to raise money for his charity. He was a true inspiration for us all and loved by all who he taught.”
Laurence’s wife Sarah said: “Laurence worked at Nuffield for over 20 years and was always fundraising for charities, including Cancer Research.
You may also want to watch:
“He has taken part in cycling events around the world and we have all done our bit during the last couple of years to raise money for Cancer Research. It is wonderful that Nuffield are holding this event in Laurence’s memory and we hope that lots of people take part on the day.”
The day includes a packed programme of fitness classes for members in the morning including boxing, circuits, watt bike and aquathon, and in the afternoon the gym is open to non-members for dance aerobics, zumba, fitness yoga and urban funk sessions, with donations to Cancer Research.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 4 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 5 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 6 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 7 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 10 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
All instructors are donating their class frees to the charity, and there are plenty of other fun activities throughout the day including fancy dress, a cake and power bar sale, and a raffle with prizes including a Porsche experience day at Silverstone.
Non-members should book by calling Nuffield direct on 01727 816100.