St Albans GP and nurse scale Kilimanjaro
AN INTREPID GP and practise nurse who climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and battled altitude sickness have described their experience climbing one of the world’s highest mountains as “exhilarating”.
GP Amanda Platts and practise nurse Sue King, who work at Parksbury House Surgery, reached the mountain’s summit after five days walking with six other friends. They had embarked on the endeavour to raise money for the Hospice of St Francis based in Berkhamsted.
The trip was far from uneventful with Amanda suffering from altitude sickness on the third day and having to descend the mountain overnight before she could continue.
The drama continued when the group, who had walked eight hours beneath a full moon and in freezing temperatures to reach the summit, began to descend and a member of the team lost consciousness.
Urgent care was required for the man who was suffering from acute altitude sickness but there was no stretcher available to move him. Eventually a French rescue team arrived and were able to provide oxygen and a decompression chamber to ensure that the man was okay.
You may also want to watch:
Sue and Amanda both said that the trip was exhausting but that the walks and the views were wonderful.
The inspirational duo want to thank everyone that has helped so far to raise the �2,400 for the hospice. Any further donations can be made at www.justgiving.com/Sue-Mandy-kili
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden