St Albans golf course to host European Tour event
- Credit: Archant
St Albans is to host the first of a new kind of golfing event
Centurion Golf Club will host the GolfSixes tournament on Saturday, May 6 to Sunday, May 7.
GolfSixes is a new format by the European Tour, intended to emulate Twenty20 cricket and the Ryder Cup.
St Albans district councillor Annie Brewster, portfolio holder for sport, said: “I am delighted the European Tour have selected our new world class golf course at the Centurion Club to host their inaugural GolfSixes Team event.
“We have a great golf pedigree as this will be the second major golf event emerging from St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
“The city was the birth place of the Ryder Cup thanks to its founder Samuel Ryder, ex-Mayor and local seed merchant, in 1927.
“We look forward to welcoming visitors from many nations to some historic golf in an exciting new format over the weekend in May.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 9 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 10 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
Michael Duffy, of Centurion Club. said: “We are honoured and incredibly excited to be hosting GolfSixes at Centurion Club.
“This is a new venture for the European Tour, so to be selected as the host venue shows the confidence the Tour has in our club and people.
“We believe that it will present a great opportunity for local sports fans to get really up close to some of the top golfers in the world in a way that they wouldn’t be able to at any other event.”