St Albans Girls’ School pupil stars on London stage in Railway Children re-make
- Credit: Archant
A student from St Albans has swapped school for the stage by appearing in an Olivier award-winning production in London.
Xanthe Gibson, 13, is currently starring as Edwina as part of the ensemble in E.Nesbitt’s classic novel The Railway Children being performed at the King’s Cross Theatre in London.
The St Albans Girls School (STAGS) pupil has been dancing since the age of three and first joined a drama school three years later.
During her career Xanthe has appeared in many pantomime productions at the Alban Arena such as Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Peter Pan.
Additional career highlights include appearing in various adverts.
You may also want to watch:
The Railway Children which boasts a rear railway line through the centre of the stage, a steam locomotive and vintage carriage, is set to run until April 10.
Xanthe, whose father Carl fronts a Madness tribute band in St Albans, goes to dance school all day Saturday and dance school all day Sundays and according to mum Sally ‘works her socks off’.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Her daughter’s enthusiasm for all things singing, acting and dancing started after her cousin Ellie Stephens starred in Billy Elliot the Musical several years ago.
Debbie Johnson, business and marketing teacher at the school, said: “Everyone here is really proud of Xanthe, We’re just in awe of her really because of the way she handles all her school commitments and her theatre duties too.
“Xanthe is not the first girl from the school to achieve fame on a London stage.
Last year, fellow STAG pupil Daisy Herron was part of the cast for the theatre remake of Billy Elliot in the capital’s West End.