St Albans girl meets Chancellor George Osborne
- Credit: Archant
PARTY time for Chancellor George Osborne usually involves questions flying across the House of Commons Chamber.
But last week he swapped party politics for a tea party at No 11 Downing Street to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rays of Sunshine Children’s Charity.
And among the children invited to attend was nine-year-old Molly Yourell from St Albans who suffers from a bad form of scholiosis.
The charity improves the lives of seriously ill children and their families by granting wishes, organising hospital activities and hosting events and outings for large groups of children.
Molly, who went along to the tea party with her sister Jessica, was granted her wish to receive a laptop computer last year.
As well as children who had previously had wishes granted by the charity and corporate supporters, the guests included celebrity supporters Aston and JB from JLS, Molly, Una and Vanessa from The Saturdays, Dynamo the Magician and Kimberley Walsh.
After the event the Chancellor said: “Rays of Sunshine is a wonderful charity working to improve the lives of children with serious illness. I was delighted to welcome some very special kids into Number 11 Downing Street today.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 6 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 8 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 School's generous donation to foodbank
“As well as taking part in crafts and getting to meet some of their heroes, they brought some rays of sunshine into Number 11.”