St Albans girl wins dance scholarship at international championship
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans teenager won a trophy and a prestigious scholarship through representing England at the Dance World Cup in Spain.
Elise Percy, 16, brought home the trophy for most outstanding solo in tap or musical theatre, out of more than 5,000 dancers, and was also awarded a scholarship to the Arts Educational School in London.
She took part in the Dance World Cup as part of Hertfordshire-based dancing school North Star Academy, which was founded by her mum, professional musical theatre alumni Maxine Percy, along with former professional ballerina Fiona Dear, fellow musical theatre performer Louisa Landon Barr and choreographer Sophia Melvin.
The Dance World Cup was held in the lake week of June, in Sitges near Barcelona, and Elise was one of only two dancers from England selected to perform a dance solo.
Her mum Maxine said: “I feel immensely proud - it was a huge achievement for her to get the scholarship to Arts Ed.
You may also want to watch:
“She wants to be a performer on the West End and she can go to Arts Ed in Chiswick when she is 18. If you go into the West End and open the theatre brochures then Arts Ed is where people trained.
“The principal was at the World Cup and he awarded her the scholarship for the summer course. She did amazingly well. It still pinch myself a little bit!
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 5 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
“I went into the world of musical theatre because I love singing as well, and I’ve performed professionally.”
Elise attends Tring School for the Performing Arts, and has been dancing since she was two-and-half years old.
To win the award for outstanding solo, she performed a routine taught to her at North Star Academy by Louisa Landon Barr.
Speaking about the World Cup, Maxine said: “It was really vibrant and the performers were amazing. The theatre is huge and each country has their own flags and cheers on their own team. There are three professional judges from a musical theatre background.”
Spain won the championship overall by 13 points, with England coming second and North Star Academy winning 10 silver medals and one gold medal.
North Star Academy offers classes in ballet, tap, jazz dancing, contemporary dance and more.