St Albans gears up for annual cycle ride
SPRING is finally here after one of the coldest winters in memory so what better time to think about a leisurely cycle ride which raises money for charity at the same time. The 17th St Albans Rotary Charity Cycle Ride is being held on Sunday, May 16, and
SPRING is finally here after one of the coldest winters in memory so what better time to think about a leisurely cycle ride which raises money for charity at the same time.
The 17th St Albans Rotary Charity Cycle Ride is being held on Sunday, May 16, and almost 2000 cyclists are expected to take part in the ride through the picturesque lanes of Hertfordshire.
The ride is a family fun event which offers different length routes - 10, 20, 30 and 40 miles - to suit all abilities.
Last year riders raised a huge sum which was distributed among five major charities and many smaller beneficiaries. Details can be found on the Cycle Ride website www.saccr.co.uk
You may also want to watch:
To make life easier for participants to raise sponsorship there is now a web page on www.justgiving.com/saccr.
The Cycle Ride starts and ends in the grounds of the Oaklands College Smallford campus where committed cyclists can test themselves on the 40-mile route via Hitchin while younger family members and less able riders can try out the 10-mile route to Sandridge and back.
- 1 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 2 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 3 de Havilland Aircraft Museum awarded £90k grant as it plans for May reopening
- 4 Abbey Theatre banner vanishes from St Albans park railings
- 5 Former St Albans Mayor celebrates golden wedding
- 6 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Fantastic Mr Fox rescued from balcony with help of RSPCA
- 9 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Giant glass wings installed at St Albans Cathedral to offer 'Solace' in loss
The event is not a race and prizes and trophies are awarded not for speed but to teams and individuals who collect the most sponsorship money for charity.
Special prizes for getting in sponsorship money by a date in June will be available to win and every rider who registers in advance will receive a commemorative t-shirt at the start and a certificate and medal on finishing.
Rotary go to great lengths to ensure that it is a safe and enjoyable day for all with water provided at checkpoints and first-aid posts along the way.
Over 100 marshalls are positioned on the route to prevent anyone getting lost and a cycle repair support vehicle and a motorcycle team patrol the route to keep participants safe.
The Herts Advertiser is a major sponsor of the Cycle Ride and will be running weekly articles prior to the race in conjunction with the organisers, the three Rotary Clubs of St Albans.
Further details and applications for individual, family or team entry can be obtained by calling the hotline on 01727 852260, by sending an email to email@example.com or by visiting the website www.saccr.co.uk where there is a downloadable application form and sponsorship form. Entry forms will be sent out to last year's participants shortly.