Firefighters rush to flat blaze in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Fire engines rushed to a blaze in a St Albans flat this afternoon.
The fire, which was in a ground floor flat on Hawkshill off Dellfield, started at about 1.35pm.
Two firefighting crews from St Albans, one from Harpenden, and one from Hatfield were called to extinguish the flames.
Herts Fire and Rescue Service believe there is no-one seriously injured and everyone is accounted for.
As per standard procedure, all residents of the block are being advised to stay in their flats.
Although the fire is now out, firefighters are still establishing what happened and making the area safe.
A nearby resident, Liam Taylor, believes it was caused by a barbecue inside the property - but that has not been confirmed.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
He said: "I saw the firefighters all running around, pulling the hoses, breaking into the ground floor flat, but they couldn't find the fire.
"At first it was only me, my auntie and grandad, then lots of people from the street and bus stopped and watched."
This comes after fire devastated two properties in St Albans in the last month, at The Plough Sleapshyde and The Camp Fish and Chips.
More on this as the story develops.