St Albans firefighters rush to building collapse

PUBLISHED: 08:15 23 May 2017

A fire started by a discarded cigarette was attended in Great Dunmow yesterday (May 28).

A fire started by a discarded cigarette was attended in Great Dunmow yesterday (May 28).

Archant

St Albans firefighters rushed to help people after a building collapsed around them during building work yesterday (May 22).

At about 2pm, crews from St Albans, Garston, Watford, Rickmansworth, and Potters Bar were called to the old Post Office building in Bushey after the 10 metre by 20m roof collapsed.

The building was undergoing construction work and when the roof structure failed, the four walls were left unsupported and they crumbled.

There were six people inside who made their own way out into the back courtyard - firefighters used safety ladders to help them climb round to the front.

A drone was also used to survey the scene and make sure everybody was safe, and by about 2.30pm everyone had been accounted for.

Four people had minor injuries and the East of England Ambulance Service were in attendance, along with police, the Health and Safety Executive, and gas and electricity suppliers.

While the incident was unfolding, the road was closed.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser