St Albans Fashion week to display the best of up and coming talent
- Credit: Archant
The fashion designers of the future are being given the opportunity to showcase their debut collections down the longest catwalk in the UK.
The second part of St Albans Fashion Week’s (SAFW) iconic Cathedral catwalks will be dedicated to ‘Creative Next Generation’ (CNG) following on from last year’s success.
Both Thursday (29) and Friday’s (30) shows will see a team of student designers’ collections take centre stage for the second part of the evening, providing ‘a bridge from campus to career ladder’.
Ellena Ophira, SAFW Director, said: “Working with young people is a huge part of St Albans Fashion Week. From the beginning it’s been really important to us that we showcase the wonderful talent on our doorstep.”
SAFW provides a chance for creative students to gain experience in event management, fashion design, photography, video making, and marketing. Vicky Taylor, assistant director, added: “Over the last three years we’ve worked with over 200 students. I started working with Ellie when I was only 19 and now, since graduating, it’s become my full time job.
“SAFW offered me so many amazing opportunities and I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.”
Designers who have taken part in the show before have all received commissions on the back of the catwalk.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 5 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 8 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
- 9 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 10 Hospices announce plans to join forces
Students from Oaklands College, University of Herts, and Herts Regional College have been chosen from many applicants to showcase their collections.
Ellena commented: “We were particularly impressed with one graduate designer from the University of Hertfordshire, Joanna Latarska.
“Her collection of menswear is very impressive, embracing fabulous fabrics and great tailoring.”
Tickets for SAFW Cathedral Catwalk shows are now on sale direct from the Cathedral’s Box Office. Book in person or online here.