St Albans Fashion week to display the best of up and coming talent
- Credit: Archant
The fashion designers of the future are being given the opportunity to showcase their debut collections down the longest catwalk in the UK.
The second part of St Albans Fashion Week’s (SAFW) iconic Cathedral catwalks will be dedicated to ‘Creative Next Generation’ (CNG) following on from last year’s success.
Both Thursday (29) and Friday’s (30) shows will see a team of student designers’ collections take centre stage for the second part of the evening, providing ‘a bridge from campus to career ladder’.
Ellena Ophira, SAFW Director, said: “Working with young people is a huge part of St Albans Fashion Week. From the beginning it’s been really important to us that we showcase the wonderful talent on our doorstep.”
SAFW provides a chance for creative students to gain experience in event management, fashion design, photography, video making, and marketing. Vicky Taylor, assistant director, added: “Over the last three years we’ve worked with over 200 students. I started working with Ellie when I was only 19 and now, since graduating, it’s become my full time job.
You may also want to watch:
“SAFW offered me so many amazing opportunities and I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.”
Designers who have taken part in the show before have all received commissions on the back of the catwalk.
- 1 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 2 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 3 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 4 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 5 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 6 Property Spotlight: A fine fixer-upper close to popular St Albans schools
- 7 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 8 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 9 Activist glues himself to St Albans court dock during Extinction Rebellion trial
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
Students from Oaklands College, University of Herts, and Herts Regional College have been chosen from many applicants to showcase their collections.
Ellena commented: “We were particularly impressed with one graduate designer from the University of Hertfordshire, Joanna Latarska.
“Her collection of menswear is very impressive, embracing fabulous fabrics and great tailoring.”
Tickets for SAFW Cathedral Catwalk shows are now on sale direct from the Cathedral’s Box Office. Book in person or online here.