St Albans drug dealer jailed for 43 months
- Credit: Archant
A drug dealer stopped for having no licence or MOT ended up being jailed for 43 months after police stumbled across his drug paraphernalia.
Stuart Hutchins, 43, of Withy Place in Park Street, was driving his Astra van along Park Street Lane on July 10 last year when he was stopped by officers from Herts Police.
They thought Hutchins and his passenger were acting suspiciously and ended up searching the vehicle - they found a Sainsbury’s bag containing scales and used bags, plus marijuana, money, and paperwork under the driver’s seat.
Appearing at St Albans Crown Court on March 13 Hutchins was sentenced for 43 months for possession of a Class A drug with intent to supply (cocaine), plus an 11 month concurrent sentence for possession of a Class B drug with intent to supply (cannabis), and another 11 month concurrent sentence for possession of a Class B drug (cannabis resin).
All of the drugs have been forfeited and destroyed, £485 in cash was seized, and Hutchins was ordered to pay a £170 victim surcharge.
Hutchins was also sentenced for driving offences – for failing to stop for a police officer he was disqualified from driving for three years and will have to re-take his test, for his lack of licence he was given a three year concurrent sentence, and he received another three year concurrent imprisonment for not having any insurance.
PC Andy Shepherd, an officer from the London Colney, Colney Heath and St Albans East Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “A hunch led to the arrest of Hutchins and we were able to get these drugs off the street and remove a dangerous driver from our roads.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 5 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 6 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 7 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 8 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 9 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
“He will have plenty of time to reflect on what he has done during his time in prison.”
Anyone with any information about drug dealing or driving dangerously should call the police on 101.