St Albans drug dealer jailed for 43 months
- Credit: Archant
A drug dealer stopped for having no licence or MOT ended up being jailed for 43 months after police stumbled across his drug paraphernalia.
Stuart Hutchins, 43, of Withy Place in Park Street, was driving his Astra van along Park Street Lane on July 10 last year when he was stopped by officers from Herts Police.
They thought Hutchins and his passenger were acting suspiciously and ended up searching the vehicle - they found a Sainsbury’s bag containing scales and used bags, plus marijuana, money, and paperwork under the driver’s seat.
Appearing at St Albans Crown Court on March 13 Hutchins was sentenced for 43 months for possession of a Class A drug with intent to supply (cocaine), plus an 11 month concurrent sentence for possession of a Class B drug with intent to supply (cannabis), and another 11 month concurrent sentence for possession of a Class B drug (cannabis resin).
All of the drugs have been forfeited and destroyed, £485 in cash was seized, and Hutchins was ordered to pay a £170 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
Hutchins was also sentenced for driving offences – for failing to stop for a police officer he was disqualified from driving for three years and will have to re-take his test, for his lack of licence he was given a three year concurrent sentence, and he received another three year concurrent imprisonment for not having any insurance.
PC Andy Shepherd, an officer from the London Colney, Colney Heath and St Albans East Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “A hunch led to the arrest of Hutchins and we were able to get these drugs off the street and remove a dangerous driver from our roads.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
“He will have plenty of time to reflect on what he has done during his time in prison.”
Anyone with any information about drug dealing or driving dangerously should call the police on 101.