St Albans district council building evacuated
- Credit: Archant
STAFF at St Albans district council who were evacuated from their offices in the Civic Centre at about 11am have now returned to the building.
Employees left the building this morning (Monday) after smoke started coming out of the air vents.
Fire crews spent two hours on site to determine the cause of the smoke and make the site safe.
St Albans fire service left the premises at about 1pm, but staff were not able to return to the building immediately as there was still smoke inside the offices.
Windows were opened to help ventilate the building, and the council offices were temporarily closed as a result of the smoke, which is believed to have come from an overheated fan belt.
You may also want to watch:
Staff - none of whom were injured - were evacuated to the Alban Arena in the Civic Centre, and returned to the offices at 3.45pm.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests