St Albans district council building evacuated
- Credit: Archant
STAFF at St Albans district council who were evacuated from their offices in the Civic Centre at about 11am have now returned to the building.
Employees left the building this morning (Monday) after smoke started coming out of the air vents.
Fire crews spent two hours on site to determine the cause of the smoke and make the site safe.
St Albans fire service left the premises at about 1pm, but staff were not able to return to the building immediately as there was still smoke inside the offices.
Windows were opened to help ventilate the building, and the council offices were temporarily closed as a result of the smoke, which is believed to have come from an overheated fan belt.
You may also want to watch:
Staff - none of whom were injured - were evacuated to the Alban Arena in the Civic Centre, and returned to the offices at 3.45pm.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on