St Albans’ Darcy’s restaurant is sold
- Credit: Archant
ONE of St Albans’ leading restaurants has been sold into new hands.
The chief chef and founder of Darcy’s Restaurant, Ruth Hurren, will be handing over the reins to a new owner at the end of next month, ushering in a new era for the venue.
Michelin-star status chef Phil Thompson will be hanging up his apron at Auberge du Lac at Brockett Hall and setting up his new home at the renamed Thompsons@Darcy’s. Darcy’s has become synonymous with exquisite dining in St Albans, so Phil and his fiancée and business partner Marianne Gearing will be keeping the name and adding to the legacy.
Darcy’s is named after Ruth’s beloved business partner, Kate D’Arcy, who tragically died back in 2010, Despite the deep loss she felt at the passing of her best friend, Ruth bravely continued to grow their burgeoning business in the years since, and says Kate was never too far away from her thoughts as guests continually shared stories of her warmth and supreme hospitality.
She said: “I am proud that Kate’s memory and her ethos of superb customer service will live on in the awarding of the Kate D’Arcy Award at the Food and Drink Festival every year.
You may also want to watch:
“Of course we could not have achieved this without our fabulous array of talented staff over the years and I thank every one of them.”
Ruth will be heading back home to Australia to be with her family and start a new chapter in her life.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
“Darcy’s will always be my home here in the UK. It is where Kate and I started together and where we finished together.
“I will take home with me a heart full of love and wonderful memories for all the happy faces that we fed and all the fabulous nights we made together.
“I have waited for the right opportunity and the right person to come and take Darcy’s forward, and it’s only since meeting Phil that I knew it was time to go home.”
With 11 years behind him as executive head chef at Auberge Du Lac, Phil brings with him a wealth of experience and skill to dazzle the district’s food lovers.
Ruth Hurren remains at Darcy’s until October 31.