St Albans cyclist's charity ride for war heroes
A CYCLING enthusiast from St Albans is pedalling all the way fromScotland to raise thousands of pounds for charity. James Dimock, 28, is determined to raise �25,000 by cycling just over 1,000 miles in 10 days from John O' Groats to Lands End in August, a mi
A CYCLING enthusiast from St Albans is pedalling all the way fromScotland to raise thousands of pounds for charity.
James Dimock, 28, is determined to raise �25,000 by cycling just over 1,000 miles in 10 days from John O'Groats to Lands End in August, a mission he will complete alongside five of his fighting fit friends.
James, an accountant who lives in Holywell Hill, completed the same challenge in 2001 when, with help from his friend Chris Pickering, he raised �7,000 for charity - a total James hopes to "smash" this summer.
James, who has been cycling every weekend to keep fit, said that he was inspired by a recent visit to Cornwall: "My girlfriend and I went there on holiday last year and it made me feel pretty nostalgic. I loved cycling the race the first time round and I am hoping that I will perform even better this time round."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "There's a great group of us going and once we break that initial pain barrier, nothing will stop us! My 25-year-old brother Richard is also doing it this year and I'm sure we'll push each other to work hard."
To help James reach his fundraising target, sponsor him online at www.justgiving.com/LEJOG-August-2010 or www.justgiving.com/LEJOG-August-2010-helpforheroes
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests