St Albans cycle tour to the centre of Champagne country taking place this May
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden charity featured on Children in Need is hosting a cycling challenge from St Albans to the Champagne capital of France.
The Ataxia-Telangiectasia Society’s tour will begin at St Albans Cathedral on May 10.
From there, participants will embark on the 350-mile route down to Portsmouth, then across the Caen, through the French countryside and finishing in Epernay, in the centre of the Champagne province.
To enter, cyclists need to pay £1,250, which they can either do out of their own pocket, or through fundraising. In return, all travel, accommodation, food and mechanical support is paid for. The deadline for entry is the end of March.
The money raised will go towards the society’s work supporting those suffering from Ataxia-Telangiectasia, a rare condition which affects the immune system and the body’s protection from cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Ebony Robinson, whose condition has meant she has a life expectancy of 26, was featured in last year’s Children in Need Rickshaw Challenge.
She said at the time: “Life is what you make it, so make every day count.”
Visit www.atsociety.org.uk/champagne-cycle-tour to find out more about the race and to book your place, or call 01582 760 733.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty