St Albans couple still smiling after 50 years of marriage
A GOOD sense of humour is the secret to a happy marriage, a golden couple from St Albans have revealed.
Bert and Jean Hewitt, of Hatfield Road, who have both lived in St Albans all their lives, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on August 6 and had a special party at home to celebrate.
Jean, 71, who met Bert when she was 15 years old, said that they started the celebrations at St Peter’s Church, where they were married in 1960: “We went along to St Peter’s in the morning and took some photos so we could look at the before and after shots – by golly has the church changed!”
She added: “We had our party after the church visit, and I’ve never had so many friends and family members over. Everyone has been so good to us, and my son and daughter treated us to a surprise few days away in Folkestone which was lovely. We’ve even got friends taking us out to dinner this Friday!”
A teenage Bert and Jean both worked for clothing firms based in Hatfield Road, and the pair met for the first time when they were stock-taking. The newlyweds moved to London Colney and, after many years in the clothing industry, Jean moved on to various roles, such as being a dinner lady, and Bert became a St Albans milkman, delivering on the same round for 23 years.
You may also want to watch:
Jean, who has three children, five grandchildren and one great granddaughter, said that she is looking forward to many more years with Bert: “We’re still very happy together, and I’d say the key is to have a good sense of humour. We also keep ourselves busy with volunteer work at the Methodist Church on Hatfield Road, which we both really enjoy.”
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe