St Albans couple's Royal Wedding Day wedding
PUBLISHED: 18:26 07 May 2011
WHILE Prince William and Kate Middleton were tying the knot in front of a global audience, one couple were busy exchanging vows at their own wedding ceremony in St Albans.
Geoffrey Wright and Debbie Hulatt’s marriage at The Salvation Army Hall in Victoria Street may have been worlds away from the pomp and pageant of the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding, but the two couples shared more than just the date in common.
The wedding rings for both marriages were made with gold from the now defunct Clogau St David’s mine in North Wales, which Mr Wright’s mother Susan grew up 15 miles from in the small town of Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Gold from the mine in Snowdonia was gifted to the Royal Family nearly a century ago and has been used to produce rings for all the major royal weddings since the Queen Mother’s marriage to King George VI in 1923.
The Queen gave a nugget of the gold to Prince William following his engagement to Kate Middleton and the ring was made by Mayfair jewellers Wartski, while Mr and Mrs Wright’s rings were made by Clogau Gold.
Some 130 people attended the ceremony conducted by officiating officers Luit Cols Ernest and Margaret Coupe which was followed by a short reception before the immediate family moved on for a smaller gathering at the nearby Ashwell Hall in Verulam Road.
Newly weds Mr and Mrs Wright from London Colney, who have been a couple for 13 years and have three children together, are also honeymooning in North Wales this week.