St Albans couple’s diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
An octogenarian couple are this week celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary after meeting in St Albans more than 60 years ago.
Tony McCarthy, 81, and his wife Sheila, 80, who have lived in Cell Barnes Lane for 55 years, met at a dance in Victoria Street and “just clicked” said Sheila.
On Tuesday, the couple celebrated their 60th anniversary with more than a few surprises, including a card from the Queen.
Sheila added: “We’ve had so many beautiful gifts. We had a terrific surprise when we got the card and our two sons have been fabulous and organised so many things.
“We have been made a beautiful cake with our two figures on the top of what we were wearing on the day, and have been given so many flowers.”
You may also want to watch:
Sheila and Tony spent the day with family and friends, with some family travelling over from Ireland especially for the occasion.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions