St Albans couple’s diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
An octogenarian couple are this week celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary after meeting in St Albans more than 60 years ago.
Tony McCarthy, 81, and his wife Sheila, 80, who have lived in Cell Barnes Lane for 55 years, met at a dance in Victoria Street and “just clicked” said Sheila.
On Tuesday, the couple celebrated their 60th anniversary with more than a few surprises, including a card from the Queen.
Sheila added: “We’ve had so many beautiful gifts. We had a terrific surprise when we got the card and our two sons have been fabulous and organised so many things.
“We have been made a beautiful cake with our two figures on the top of what we were wearing on the day, and have been given so many flowers.”
You may also want to watch:
Sheila and Tony spent the day with family and friends, with some family travelling over from Ireland especially for the occasion.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery