St Albans couple celebrate 60 happy years of marriage
IT was a real family affair when Jim and Beryl Ramsey went out to celebrate their Diamond Wedding on Saturday.
The couple, who have lived in St Albans for the past 45 years, were joined for the celebratory meal at Moor Mill in Bricket Wood by their five children – including daughter Linda who had come down from Scotland – and some of their many grandchildren.
Jim, 83, and Beryl, 81, who lived in Camp Road for many years, first met in 1949 when he was 22 and she was 20. Beryl was then working as an usherette at a cinema in Welwyn Garden City and Jim, who was born in London but had moved to the town, was employed as a mechanic.
They got engaged on Beryl’s 21st birthday in November 1950 and were married three months later on February 24, 1951.
Although they started married life in Welwyn Garden City, they moved to St Albans in 1965 where much of Beryl’s time was spent bringing up their five children, Keith, David, Linda, Martin and Richard.
You may also want to watch:
In between times she did some work as a typist while Jim had moved into the field of insurance, spending 38 years employed by the Royal London Mutual Society, before retiring aged 60.
Among the many highlights of the celebration of 60 years together was a card from the Queen which has pride of place in their home.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Jim and Beryl, who cited give and take and not having arguments as the secret of 60 years of marriage, have 12 grandchildren, six great grandchildren and two step grandchildren.