St Albans councillor appears in court on assault charge
- Credit: Archant
A councillor has today (Friday) pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault following an alleged incident at St Albans’ waste recycling centre.
St Albans district Cllr for Marshalswick South Salih Gaygusuz was last month charged with assault by beating after an alleged altercation on September 16 at the centre, based at Ronsons Way.
He appeared at St Albans Magistrates’ Court to answer the charge following an adjournment of the case earlier this month.
The court was told that Mr Gaygusuz believes he did “nothing wrong” as he was attempting to put waste in a skip when a member of staff at the centre “took exception and barged him”.
The Magistrates were told, however, that the prosecution “says it was the other way round”.
A trial will be held on December 19.
Mr Gaygusuz remains on conditional bail.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 3 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 4 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 5 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 6 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 10 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road