St Albans construction worker died from asbestos exposure, inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
A construction worker died from an asbestos-related disease after it lay dormant until for around 30 years, a coroner ruled last week.
Gerald Martin, of Colney Heath Lane, died at Peace Hospice in Watford on October 22 after losing his battle with epithelioid mesothelioma.
An inquest held last Wednesday at Hatfield Coroner’s Court heard that he started working in construction in 1949.
Senior Coroner for Herts Edward Thomas said during that time there were lots of houses built with outhouses, which had roofs made of corrugated asbestos sheets.
Gerald had to cut the sheets up using an electric saw which would release dust into the atmosphere.
The inquest heard that he was not exposed to asbestos in any other way and for about 25 years was healthy.
But at the start of this year the 85 year old was found to be getting a bit breathless. Following a scan in June doctors discovered shadowing on his lungs.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
Mr Thomas said: “The fact the first symptoms only showed in the early part of this year is perfectly conclusive with what we know about mesothelioma, it lies dormant and we don’t see the symptoms. Someone perfectly healthy doesn’t get symptoms they may get them as a chest infection.”
He ruled the cause of death as industrial disease.