St Albans community pub campaigners still waiting on response
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners fighting to keep a pub in community use after it closes are still waiting to hear if their bid has been successful.
Cottonmill Community Group want to see the King Offa pub in Wallingford Walk remain open and switch to community use in the period between its closure - which will not be for at least another three weeks - and its demolition to be replaced with affordable housing in around two years time.
But although they hoped to get a response to their proposal from the council this week, all they have been told is that the council will take vacant possession of the pub towards the end of September which means the King Offa will remain open for several weeks to come.
The community group has also learned that three proposals and an expression of interest have been received by the council but they have not been given any indication about what they contain.
Spokesman Chris Gilroy said: “They [the council] have been evasive through the whole process although we have been pushing to get positive dialogue.
“We are trying to do what we can in the way of lobbying and raising the profile but without any feedback or information from the council, it is frustrating.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone wanting to contact the community group can email firstname.lastname@example.org and they can also be found on Facebook.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 St Albans man's charity walk in memory of dad who died following heart attack
- 9 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to