St Albans Clock Tower to host charity busking event
- Credit: Photo courtesy of Petra Koblova
Local music acts are putting their talents to good use and coming together for a charity event in the city centre.
Acts from across St Albans will be busking by the Clock Tower on Saturday for HIV support charity, The Crescent.
From duets to solo artists, musicians have all come together as part of the Save the Crescent campaign.
Musical acts are joined by local businesses, who have sponsored and donated to the event in a bid to save the struggling charity.Denise Parsons, who works at Trestle Arts and helped organise the event, said: “I hope that we get lots of people to come down, everyone has a jolly good time, and we raise the profile of The Crescent.
“I hope we raise a lot of money, as well as promoting local music. It’s raising awareness for an important charity.”
Since funding from the county council was suspended in 2011, The Crescent, which offers support to those living with HIV, has had to rely on donations to stay afloat.
Iain Murtagh, head of operations at The Crescent, said: “We are as busy as we have always been, but without the funding. It’s events like this that are very good for us in two ways: one, it brings in money, and two, it raises awareness that there is a need for HIV support in West Hertfordshire.”
You may also want to watch:
The event will see lots of support from local businesses, including record store Empire Records, who are sponsoring the microphone.
St Albans’ latest addition to the restaurant scene, The Meating Room, will be giving out free mini burgers, while the local branch of Lush will be giving away soapy goodies and The Boot providing free refreshments.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
The free event will run from 10.30am to 4pm.