Petition urging St Albans council to declare climate emergency reaches 1,700 signatures
- Credit: Archant
A petition urging St Albans district council to declare a climate emergency has reached 1,700 signatures.
The Sustainable St Albans and St Albans Friends of the Earth appeal initially kicked off in May with a target of 500 names, garnering support during the St Albans Sustainability Festival 2019.
It said: "Declaring a climate emergency is a vital first step. It will empower our community, encourage others to follow suit, and help all of us treat the climate crisis as the existential emergency that it is."
SADC will debate the motion in a council meeting on July 10.
Trustee of Sustainable St Albans, Catherine Ross, hopes the issue will gain cross-party support: "We've been so encouraged by the massive amount of local support the petition has received. Thank you to every single person that signed it.
You may also want to watch:
"We believe you can't tackle a crisis without calling it a crisis, so we are asking the council to declare a climate emergency, set a target to be carbon neutral by 2030, and take action accordingly."
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 5 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'