St Albans City Hospital petition reaches 700 signatures
- Credit: Archant
A petition against the closure of two wards at St Albans City Hospital has received 700 signatures.
St Albans Labour has organised it as part of a campaign against the closure of the Sopwell and Langton wards.
Spokesperson Jill Gipps said: “People in St Albans understand the importance of local services which help elderly people get ready for a safe return home, while family and friends can visit daily.
“We cannot stand by and let these beds be closed.”
The Sopwell and Langton wards house 39 community beds, which are used by Herts Community Trust for rehabilitative care after treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Recent budget cuts led Herts Valley Clinical Commissioning Group to stop funding the beds, saving £2.8 million.
In response, St Albans district council passed a Labour motion to call NHS officials in for questioning.
The party has started an online petition, in addition to a paper petition they have been running from a market stall.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 7 Revealed: The most and least expensive places to buy a property in Hertfordshire
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to