St Albans city centre to become a no-go zone to all cars apart from 4x4s and people carriers
- Credit: Archant
The centre of St Albans could be restricted to four-by-fours and people carriers under new plans announced today by the district council.
The scheme is designed to limit the number of small vehicles entering the congested city centre and instead focus on vehicles which can hold a greater number of passengers.
As part of the scheme, which aims to promote car sharing, the city centre’s car parks will undergo a refurbishment programme to make them more suitable for bigger vehicles, with the majority of spaces set to be designated “parent-and-child” to cater for the large numbers of mums who use them during the day.
It is hoped that even though four-by-fours and people carriers pump out more pollution, by cutting down on the number of other vehicles entering the city centre the benefits should actually be an improvement in air quality.
Council spokesman Farad Soliploy explained the rationale behind the scheme: “We know there’s an increasing number of these bigger vehicles on our roads, so instead of persecuting these gas-guzzling monstrosities we’re going to work with them to everybody’s benefit.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re also hoping that drivers will start to give lifts into the city centre to random strangers waiting by the side of the road, to make the most of the seat space available on their vehicles.”
A survey on the proposals began this morning, and the initial results will be announced on this website after midday.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Sorry if you were caught out! This was an April Fool! Thanks for all the positive comments we received on social media.