St Albans Christmas market to launch this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The city will be transformed into a Winter Wonderland this weekend as its European-style Christmas Market returns for a second year.
The wooden chalets in the Vintry Gardens officially open today but there will also be special launch celebration for all the family tomorrow evening (Friday).
An animatronic polar bear named Bjorn, Mr Snowman, and the Ice Queen are just some of the magical characters set to entertain crowds.
Asha Banks, a young local West End performer will be singing a selection of Christmas songs and Frozen tracks which will be preceded by a band at the Market Place stage. There will also be live music at the Christmas Market site itself from 6pm until 8pm.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Geoff Harrison, will officially open the market at 7pm by cutting a ceremonial ribbon.
Liz Marcy, Christmas market manager, said: “Around 45,000 visitors came to St Albans last year to enjoy the first traditional German-style Christmas market and discover our wonderful city centre. This year we will have more chalets and entertainment, and traders are open later, so the market should attract even more visitors.”
The market will run until December 21. Businesses in Market Place and Christopher Place will open later.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
The opening times for the Christmas market are:
Mon 11.00- 18.00
Tue 11.00- 18.00
Wed 11.00- 18.00
Thu 11.00- 20.00
Fri 11.00- 20.00
Sat 11.00- 20.00
Sun 11.00- 18.00