St Albans Christmas market to launch this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The city will be transformed into a Winter Wonderland this weekend as its European-style Christmas Market returns for a second year.
The wooden chalets in the Vintry Gardens officially open today but there will also be special launch celebration for all the family tomorrow evening (Friday).
An animatronic polar bear named Bjorn, Mr Snowman, and the Ice Queen are just some of the magical characters set to entertain crowds.
Asha Banks, a young local West End performer will be singing a selection of Christmas songs and Frozen tracks which will be preceded by a band at the Market Place stage. There will also be live music at the Christmas Market site itself from 6pm until 8pm.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Geoff Harrison, will officially open the market at 7pm by cutting a ceremonial ribbon.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Marcy, Christmas market manager, said: “Around 45,000 visitors came to St Albans last year to enjoy the first traditional German-style Christmas market and discover our wonderful city centre. This year we will have more chalets and entertainment, and traders are open later, so the market should attract even more visitors.”
The market will run until December 21. Businesses in Market Place and Christopher Place will open later.
- 1 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 2 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 6 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 7 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 8 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 9 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star
- 10 A New York state of mind
The opening times for the Christmas market are:
Mon 11.00- 18.00
Tue 11.00- 18.00
Wed 11.00- 18.00
Thu 11.00- 20.00
Fri 11.00- 20.00
Sat 11.00- 20.00
Sun 11.00- 18.00