St Albans Christmas lights switch-on - With gallery
THE FESTIVE season got off to a cracking start on Sunday when more than 10,000 people filled the city centre to watch the Christmas lights being switched on.
At 5.30pm crowds looked on as the lights were illuminated by the Mayor of St Albans and the stars of this year’s pantomime Aladdin, including CBeebies’ Mister Maker actor Phil Gallagher.
Throughout the day stalls selling gift ideas and hot food and drink ranging from mulled wine to grilled sausages lined St Peter’s Street.
Children also visited Santa in his Grotto and took a whirl on the fairground rides, while a whole host of local performers put on a show for the spectators.
St Albans Mayor Cllr Eileen Harris said: “Residents and visitors turned out in their thousands for an enormous celebration to mark the countdown to Christmas. I was delighted by the size of the crowd and by the number of people who stayed to the very end to watch the lights being switched on.
You may also want to watch:
“The atmosphere was wonderful and people were clearly having tremendous fun.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire