Christmas Cracker street party kicks off festive season in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people attended the Christmas Cracker street party in St Albans city centre at the weekend to launch the festive season in style.
The city centre was closed to traffic from 12 noon until 6pm yesterday, and families could visit Santa's grotto, food, drink and gift stalls, funfair rides, a giant snow globe and a children's activities tent.
There were also live music at the main stage by the Beech House, and by the Clock Tower, and at 5pm there was a countdown to the Christmas lights being switched on.
Mayor of St Albans Cllr Janet Smith, who switched on the Clock Tower illuminations, said: "I was taken aback by the size of the crowds - they were huge.
"The atmosphere was electric throughout the day and there was so much for people to do, with children extremely well catered for."
You may also want to watch:
The event was organised by St Albans district council and city centre businesses in the Albans Business Improvement District (BID).
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 5 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans